Monday, July 6, 2009

In-Flight Entertainment


I flew to San Francisco on Virgin Airlines, which I was anxious to experience because of its "glam" factor. The individualized video monitors and in-air wi-fi were enticing as well. As I walked onto the plane from the jetway I noticed that the white paint on the airplane had glitter in it. Glittery shiny paint on an airplane? That was too much.

The video monitors were pretty cool. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use my own headphones with them since I saw there was a headphone kiosk at the check-in desk ("Put in two bucks, take out a set of headphones"), but my headphones fit fine and I settled in to check out the touchscreen menu.

They had video games, movies, radio stations, music videos, even a way to chat online or with other people on the plane! Inside the armrest lay a remote/game control. Yeah, this was pretty cool.

I played a game for a while, then decided to hit the wi-fi. Instead of lugging out my laptop, I thought I'd use my iPhone to send a tweet. D'oh! Turns out you have to pay for the in-air wi-fi. $7.95 for a one-time fee. This was just a 1.5 hour flight, so I focused on the movies. If I were alone at home watching a movie on TV, it would be a romantic comedy, so why not in the air? Even though I knew I wouldn't see the entire movie, I fired up "He's Just Not That Into You" on the screen and settled in. Maybe my kids would be so into movies or games that I'd be able to watch the rest of it on the return trip home.

No comments:

Post a Comment