Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Slurpees, Part II

Emma is at a musical theater camp this week and next. As many dancers know, a dance studio can be excruciating in the summer--the sweaty bodies emitting heat that lingers, fogs mirrors and stinks up the room. Yesterday Em asked for a Slurpee, which, after her cajoling, we found across the street from the dance studio at the 7-11. I sort of regretted it later because she had eaten only the sweet treats in her lunch while her luncheon meat and cheese combo went bad and stinky in her lunchbox (which she also left in the living room, half tucked under the couch). 

Today I didn't even ask if she'd finished her healthy food first; I asked her how her day was and we marched straight across the blistering pavement to the 7-11. And I bought another one for Phoebe and I to share when we got her, too. According to Yahoo, it was 102 degrees in Seattle when I picked up Phoebe at her daycare around 4:30 p.m. The weather report on my iPhone (provided by Yahoo) says it is now 103 degrees. It's 5:37. 

I'm lucky we have a great basement to hang out in and keep cool. But I'm really not used to this here in Seattle. How are you all doing? What have you done to comfort yourself during our heat wave? (Me: Iced Mocha from the Firehouse in Ballard, Slurpee, basement, watching old "Lost" episodes online)

No comments:

Post a Comment