Monday, July 27, 2009

A Pressing Matter

(image from http://sourcedesign.com/)


After we returned from the Knight Fellowship reunion, I had some nervous energy.
I thought about getting a tattoo, learning to play the drums, taking writing classes. I immediately went online to figure out what interesting hobby I could take up. As I surfed around, I realized what had happened: I was back to real life.

Exposed again to the grandeur of the Stanford campus, talking to fellow Fellows, catching up with old friends, expanding my online social network, listening to professors profess and educators educate, I was mentally and emotionally stimulated. Coming home, as wonderful as it was, became a bit of a letdown. I think I was a little bored.

I've wanted to take a Letterpress class for some time. As fate would have it, a class started in just two weeks at Pratt Fine Arts Center. I didn't even think twice-I just booked it.

The class runs for five weeks. The School of Visual Concepts, where I took a Photoshop class last year, offers a 10 week class, but I decided to start easy. My first class is tomorrow night and I'm exhilarated. A bit excited, a bit nervous, but happy to start feeding my brain in a new way. Will I be the oldest person there? Will I fail to place the letters backwards? Can I get some extra studio practice? I'm all a-tingle thinking about this new adventure, this new pathway I'm laying in my brain.
Press on!

No comments:

Post a Comment