Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I'll Be There




Today is the day of Michael Jackson's memorial service in LA. It still feels unreal to think about his passing and I have not kept up with the arrangements or hoopla around it. Justine and I joked about driving down to LA for the service, but instead I decided to visit a cherished friend of mine, who shares many MJ memories with me.

I've known Katie since the fifth grade, when we met at Walnut Acres Elementary in Walnut Creek, CA. The night MTV debuted Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video (every hour, on the hour), we were at a sleepover, glued to the TV to catch this history-making "mini-movie." I remember how we'd all sit there, watching the video, then play games or eat pizza in the intervals between the next hour's showing. Then there was the scramble when the first few notes could be heard and we'd watch it again, trying to catch all of the dance moves.

We were good friends throughout elementary and middle school, becoming even closer when we took dance together in high school. It was a huge thrill when one of the older high school dancers invited Katie and me to be in a dance she choreographed set to "Smooth Criminal." Playing the song for my daughter last week while revisiting MJ's song catalog, I remembered part of that dance and decided I needed to make time in this trip to see Katie.

When I arrived at her house the door was open and small, joyful voices beckoned me inside. We spent the morning catching up and chatting with her two children. Being with her felt as comfortable as a long nap in the sun. Katie's home is bright and filled with art, much of it hers. She and her family have been working on a kitchen redecorating project where they are adding poems, quotes and pictures to their walls and cabinets. Their cabinets are pictured above.



No comments:

Post a Comment