Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Place Nobody Dared To Go...And Perhaps Shouldn't Again


As I mentioned earlier, I am a musical geek. For months I've been itching to go to New York to see a few shows - okay, mainly "Xanadu." So I was tickled when I saw the ads for the touring company, which performs the show at The Paramount Theater this weekend. I just got home from seeing it with my (newly sainted) husband, Doug.

I fell in love with the movie at around nine years old. I think I saw it in the theater while having a sleepover at Kimi Rodriguez's house and I was completely hooked. I loved Greek myths (my "D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths" was well-worn), I loved Olivia Newton-John, I loved Gene Kelly and I loved musicals. No brainer. (My apologies to the girls at my birthday party sleepover who sat through it, obviously bored while I hummed along happily).

I clearly recall getting the soundtrack as soon as possible and singing the songs for hours. I looked up "Kubla Khan" at the library using the first line reference index. And of course, I practiced roller skating endlessly. I cannot express how totally awesome I felt in my white boot skates with the blue flames. It only got better when my step-sister made me some blue ribbon barrettes to wear that matched!

The movie is ridiculous. It borders on hokey and just plain bad. But from the first moment Olivia Newton-John wiggles her fingers in the wall mural, coming alive, to Gene Kelly on roller skates, I'm sucked in. The soundtrack, featuring ONJ and ELO, is amazing. Poppy and upbeat to soft-rock ballad, combining ELO's synth-infused energy with ONJ's sweet voice was an inspiration. I don't have my 8-track anymore, but the vinyl is still easy listening.

I'd heard there was a new take on the musical for the stage production, which I researched a bit on the site and by listening to clips online. It was much more satirical and silly. Although I was prepared for this going into the theater, Doug said my face looked crestfallen for the first two or three songs. It picked up a bit in the middle and wrapped up with a cool pegasus ride and a fun, disco-ball finale. Keeping the show to 90 minutes without an intermission helped.

After years of loving the music and the film, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the production. I'm glad I got to see its evolution, but I prefer to stay wrapped up in those crazy leg-warmer fashions and hopelessly romantic songs. The movie will always hold my nine-year-old self within it. I am happy I can revisit her whenever I put the record back on the turntable.

No comments:

Post a Comment