Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Year-end Duties


While most people tend to think about the year ahead after the rush of the December holidays, I like to tidy up the year behind.

Throughout the year I file receipts in this accordion-style folder. I've used larger folders with printed labels, paper sacks, paper clips, rubber bands-if there was a low-budget way of gathering receipts, I've used it. This handy plastic organizer has plenty of pockets for each of my categories (ie. "Gifts," "Car/Gas," "Dining out,") and I like that it's waterproof. (One reason why the paper sack idea didn't last too long in a damp basement)

We began this system so we could easily itemize my husband's work expenses, but it also became a convenient way in which to contain unruly receipts and organize them if we needed to return something.

The end of the year gives me a certain satisfaction as I put the last of the receipts in their places. It feels great to feel the heft of the folder, remembering a few exceptional meals we've had or a gift that was well received. Even those gas receipts seem happily contained and categorized for the year.

I haven't really made any New Year's resolutions or mapped out my To-Do list for the first quarter of 2010. I'm still wrapping up the loose ends from 2009, and that's just where I want to be.

I love a fresh start just as much as the next person. But I really love a tidy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment