Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Notice from the Seattle Public Library


Those are some of the sweetest words to ever show up in my e-mail box.

I am an avid library goer. Back in the day I frequented the Thurman G. Casey library in Walnut Creek after school most days. It was in that library I discovered Robert Cormier, S.E. Hinton and Madeleine L'Engle, among others.

We usually go to our neighborhood library branch once a week, after our pilgrimage to the Ballard Farmer's Market on Sundays. But when I get an e-mail with the subject line, "Notice from the Seattle Public Library," I perk right up since it usually means one the books I have on hold has come in and is ready for me!

When I arrived today, not only did I find the book listed on the e-mail notice, but another book that the library hadn't even told me about yet (double bonus). The titles are:

Good Mail Day, A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
by Jennie Hinchcliff and Carolee Gilligan Wheeler

Graphic Design, The New Basics
by Ellen Lupton and Jennifer Cole Phillips


Words could not describe the elation I felt finding those two gems on the holds shelf. I could feel my smile radiating off the spines of the books on the stacks as I meandered around the library, sending elegantly lovely cards and letters out into the world before I'd even cracked open the books. My fingers tingled as I fondled their covers.

It got even better when, after scanning my favorite art/design/craft section I found two other superstars:

The Crafter Culture Handbook
by Amy Spencer

Pattern Sourcebook: Nature, 250 Patterns for Projects and Designs
by Shigeki Nakamura

Huzzah! The rain is falling on this gray day, but my room with the bright green wall is buzzing. I can't wait to get started!!

No comments:

Post a Comment