Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hired hand

Just when I had accepted the fact that I wouldn't get the writing job, it's coming around again.

After thanking my potential employer for his time and telling him that I was more interested in writing than modeling, he came back with a specific number so I could "get in on some of the writing parts." I'm glad he's re-offering what he passed on last week, but now I'm just plain confused.

I've wondered if my quote was realistic, or if I got too pumped up with questions of "my worth" or "the worth of my time." But I honestly don't think I'd change how I handled these interactions. As a freelancer, dealing with an incessant amount of changing variables is probably the norm. It's good practice for me to have these situations arise, and very good practice to gauge what exactly I want from them. In the past, I would have said, "Yes!" to anything, stretching myself thin in order to cross off these 'busy-work' business items off my task list. I'm realizing now that I don't simply want to be busy. I want to feel balanced. And whether than means I'm getting as much as I give or simply learning enough to keep my footing solid for the next baby step, then so be it.

Practice....practice....practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment