Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I've got the music in me

Hello, my name is Kale and I am a musical theater geek.

There, I said it.

I've loved musicals as long as I can remember. It's probably one of those nature + nurture things, since my mother's love of singing and musicals brought many a soundtrack into our home. My older brother has memories of my mother watching "Carousel" on TV and just bawling. I remember her taking me (very very underage) to see "All That Jazz" in the theater, covering my eyes or ears for most of it, but allowing me to watch the singing and dancing parts.

Doug is very patient with my obsession, taking me to see various musicals over the years. Last night he took me to see "Wicked" at the Paramount. I loved the book by Gregory Maguire. I was overwhelmed by the voices of the two lead actresses, and now I can't top watching clips of Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth on youtube. Which led me to get out my "Rent" CD, singing along with those old favorites, and now I'm hunting down my "Xanadu" record to blast Olivia Newton-John and ELO until my voice is hoarse.


No comments:

Post a Comment