Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rainy Day Sunday




After getting chased away from downtown Ballard by the rain, we Kims came home with nothing but relaxation on our minds. Doug went in for a nap, Em retired to her room to devour the new books she got for her birthday, Phee had a book and bottle before her nap and I went down to the green room to sketch some ideas for a Valentine's Day card.

After a while Doug and Em came downstairs, anxious to work on the press Doug made me for Christmas. We experimented with a few leaves they brought in from the yard, as well as these textured foam puzzle mat pieces I failed to unload on craigslist. Emma really got into inking up the items to press. Ever the enterpriser, Doug used some wooden letters from one of Phee's alphabet puzzles to make a few cards with Emma's initials on them. We wanted to get a jump on 'Thank You' cards for friends who kindly thought of Emma on her special day, and these handmade cards will be just the right touch. Em is excited to do another run with varied textures or colors. She's also plotting to work her mixed media magic by incorporating a few collage elements.

I really love spending time together as a family, whether it's working on art projects, cooking or just throwing the ball around. Being the youngest of four, many of my most vivid and happiest moments are simply when my mom, my crazy brothers and I were together. We didn't have much money growing up, but we knew we always had each other-something I truly value today. It is so rewarding as a parent to be able to provide these moments for our kids. And for us, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment