Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Face That Launched...

I agonized over what to charge for a possible freelance writing gig and maybe I should have saved myself some time.

After discussing what I imagined would be a fair rate with colleagues and my (former editor) husband, giving myself permission to value myself at 30 cents a word, and sending my rate to the potential client, I was "respectfully declined."

However, instead of researching and writing content for an instructional booklet, was I interested in posing for its cover?

Huh?

I was (and am probably still) confused. I had not discussed modeling work with the client before. I answered his ad for a writer. During our face-to-face meeting, we spoke only of writing. And I was totally honest with him about having limited experience with this type of writing. I asked if he had any questions for me. I asked him about his comfort levels. I did not imagine mine would be so effected.

Naturally, I'm flattered. Somebody thinks I'm attractive enough to be on the cover of his book. Maybe even attractive enough to sell some of those books. But that same person doesn't seem to think I'm smart enough to write those books.

I thought about it most of the day. I thought about the opportunity at hand. At a time when people are looking for work, someone was offering me a job where all I had to do was smile. This was positive.

I also thought about working with someone whose expectations are unclear and unpredictable. When we met he did not talk about money. He wanted me to come up with a number and get back to him--which he refused and turned around to ask if I wanted to pose for a photograph. "Unpredictable" and "pose" are not words I like to associate when pondering a potential job offer. This is not positive.

So I guess I won't be a model anytime soon.

I'd much rather be a writer anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment