Thursday, August 20, 2009

Okies R OK




My husband, Doug, spent many of his formative years living in Oklahoma. It pains me to hear the stories he has about being one of the few Asians at his high school or how out of place he felt in Tulsa. But I'm relieved to know that he had (and has) a great network of friends who, purely by coincidence, now live nearby in Seattle.

One couple who still lives in Tulsa - Mark and Kelly - were coming to visit, so we spent some time with the Okie gang recently. They came to our house for dinner one evening, where we caught up over an amazing paella Doug made while the kids (four boys plus my two girls) tore up the basement play area. On another evening the ladies went to Banya 5, a Russian bathhouse in town while the guys hit Zig Zag. It was great to reconnect with these friends. I ordinarily associate them with Doug's network, but I'm realizing that these are my friends, too, people I care for and enjoy having in my life. I can feel why they meant so much to Doug back in the day; and continue to mean so much to the both of us now.

No comments:

Post a Comment