Thursday, August 20, 2009

Movie date

Doug and I got a babysitter to stay with the kids while we took in "Objectified," a documentary about the design of objects and our relationships with them. It was directed by Gary Hustwit, who made "Helvetica."
It was cool to check out the flick and to see it at Northwest Film Forum. Doug felt right at home listening to the folks at IDEO (who he worked with at the d.school during our time at Stanford) and I found it interesting comparing the attitudes of male vs. female designers. Design is about problem solving, troubleshooting, making something functional yet beautiful without being obviously functional and beautiful--there is a huge variety of perspectives. It's fascinating to discover those attitudes, to throw those ideas around with your life partner and figure out where each other's sensibilities lie. But all in all, I'm fascinated with design and designers because I want to, in some teeny tiny way, make cool stuff like they do. I'm not talking about designing the next iPhone or making a dramatically efficient and sexy car, but it would be satisfying to continue to be creative. To take something from thought nugget to gilded road. I'm working on it.
I just finished reading "Julie & Julia," which is now a film starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. I really got into it at first, felt like I could identify with the author, Julie Powell. I felt like my trials, my desire, even my voice was simliar to hers. As I read on, I can't say that feeling stuck with me, but I admire her courage to take that leap-of faith, of folly, whatever you want to call it. She took a path. Although it was difficult, she stuck to it. I find that admirable.

At the end of the book Powell talks about finding one's way in the world. Her "Julie/Julia" project helped her to find the joy it takes to do that. It takes some bravery to face the road you want to take and even more to stay on it. So this is my thought for now-for my business, for my family, for the life I live and how I choose to live it: Be Brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment