Monday, August 10, 2009

Scan u




The business that I'm starting up is pretty simple. It's a basic customer service gig, helping people digitize their print photographs. As I found earlier this year while preparing for a 70th birthday party for my mom, I have hundreds of print photos that I'd like, for whatever reason, to get into my computer. For the party, I scanned in about 150 photos to put into a slideshow to share. I didn't use them all, but it was nice to get those memories into a format easy to e-mail or burn onto a CD or DVD. After hearing about other friends preparing similar projects for wedding receptions, anniversary parties and the like, I thought this might be a great way to keep busy while still be home with my kids. I also like the idea of caring for one's memories in a different way. If I can become more proficient at color correction or photo restoration, that would be icing. But for now, helping people--perhaps people older than myself who aren't willing to sit down with their scanner for hours at a time or aren't technologically savvy--gather photos or slides that are meaningful to them so they can e-mail them to friends instead of e-mails featuring "blessed friend wishes," senior citizen sexual behavior or why cats are better companions than men.

My first project is for myself--scanning in photos from my wedding. Hopefully my kids won't have to adapt these jpgs to some other kind of technology for the my 70th birthday party slideshow.

No comments:

Post a Comment