Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hit It

So the girls went to Banya 5, a Russian bathhouse in town. A bit hesitant at the beginning, we soon gave in to water-water everywhere and even worked the platka. 

I've been curious about this spa for a while, mainly because they advertise use of the "platka," or a branch of Russian White Oak with leaves still attached that can be struck against the skin. This is supposed to increase circulation and disperse tension. 

I am intrigued by this notion. First of all, there's the spiritual aspect of using an aromatic leaf to bring scent and energy into the air around you. Keeping your skin taut and your blood pumping seems like a wonderfully healthful thing to do. But mainly I just fantasize about whacking the heck out of Doug with a big branch. A side of catharsis with your aromatic blood flow? Yes, please!

In the bathing area there are a few other pools: a hot water whirlpool, a warm salt-water pool, then the cold water plunge. There's a Turkish steam room and a large shower area. Then there's the parilka. 

The parilka is, according to the website, a "Russian sauna oven generating 200+ degrees of penetrating radiant heat." It's where you go to get "platka'd."

We didn't really know the lay of the land going in, but we were game for the parilka, which was extremely hot. There was a very svelte, toned gentleman sitting in there. He answered a few of our questions, helping us learn that we should stay in the parilka then plunge into the cold water pool. We should do this a few times to open up the blood vessels and increase circulation. A part of me felt this would the wrong approach-that part of me that's afraid of shocking my heart into giving out. But another part of me was looking at this very toned, serene man, thinking, well, if he does it, it's gotta be good, right?

The cold water plunge is a shock. I wiggled in a bit, but soon realized it's better just to go for it. The experience is intense to say the least. I felt radiant in and under my skin. Maybe that's what it would feel like if your body was submerged in a vat of Icy Hot.

Toned Man, or after he introduced himself, Thomas, said he'd be leaving soon and did I want a demonstration? Sure-I was dying to try the platka, and what better way than to have someone who actually knew what they were doing?

After I laid down on a towel on my stomach, he took the wet platka and banged the ventilation cage above me. I immediately felt a warm shower of mist, pungent and woody around me. In a very methodic way he hit the platka against my arms and shoulders, moving in circles down my body. The branch is sort of flattened out like a fan, so what you feel is more the slap of leaves rather than branch or bark. It reminded me of watching someone fly-fishing. There's a rhythm, a cadence, and a circular motion to the line and I felt as if my back were the surface of a very still lake, with the platka moving air right above me just as the hook and line moves. It was very hot, but not uncomfortable. I tried to match my breathing to the strikes, to the movement of his arm above me. I felt very relaxed. After he moved down my legs, he placed the platka on the back of one of my thighs, then bent my leg, pressing the platka into it. The stretch didn't really hurt; it was more uncomfortable to have such heat on the back of my legs with added pressure. Breathe. He repeated it on the other side. Breathe again.

The ladies and I took turns working the platka on one another after that. We each got something from it, but found that various areas spoke us in different ways: Cynthia enjoyed the quiet tea room, Kelly liked the steam bath and Jenny and I loved bobbing in the salt water pool. 

Afterward, we felt revived and a little woozy. We would have liked to try the Venik Lounge next door for an infused vodka, but opted instead for a late dinner at Kushibar in Belltown. I really enjoyed spending some quality girl time with my friends in a new environment. We were already making plans to come back again-maybe with the guys in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment