Thursday, April 28, 2011

To The 9s

I was pretty psyched about my long run, despite the nine mile distance. Most of the route followed Lake Washington, which would be breathtaking on the clear sunny day we got. I've also been reading Dean Karnazes, who I think is one of the most inspirational athletes to follow today. I zoomed right through "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner," and am now half-way through "50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!" I've also been keeping tabs on his Run Across America, marveling at the way he's zipped across the continental U.S. The guy doesn't sugar coat the toll running takes on his body and he's equally forthcoming about the immense joy he feels engaging in his sport. I shared so much of the book with Doug that he grabbed the first one as soon as I finished it and seems very inspired in his training for STP.

So with the ultimate ultramarathon man in my brain and my new CEP sleeves on my calves, I felt ready to take on the nine miles. And in retrospect, I fulfilled my goals. I wanted to finish without taking too long (under two hours) and I wanted to enjoy it -- that happened. But I can't help but think about a pivotal point when I chose to stop and stretch. I'd been doing well, enjoying the run and feeling pretty good. I wasn't the fastest and I wasn't the slowest. But I got a little lost.

We were supposed to take a set of stairs to the I-90 bridge bike tunnel. I was taking a set of stairs that led to someone's house when I finally saw someone from my training group continuing further down the street. I doubled back to meet them and caught my stride again. But when we had to walk up a hill to get to the stairs, my left toes were going numb and I figured I should take a breather, walk a bit and help them unwind.

It was hard to watch my training partners go on ahead, but I tried to remember that I was taking care of myself and it would be better in the end. I began to get discouraged by how far I'd fallen behind and my foot didn't feel any better. I kept waiting to see the next turnoff street, but there were so many street and none of them the one I needed! It was frustrating. I didn't stop again, but I was shuffling along pretty slowly, my toes numb and mentally unraveling.

By the time I got to the turn, I was relieved, but understood that this final leg back to our meeting point was always the hardest. Why? Because it was always the last leg! There's a slight uphill grade and I'm just dog tired at that point. There are also a number of great restaurants and cafes along that street and they're just opening up their doors where the smell of pastries and coffee are so enticing. But I finished, and within two hours, which felt good.

However, I'm coming off that run with a new goal. Our run this weekend is a mock marathon where our trainers will have us run part of the half-marathon course with bib numbers, aid stations and an official start. I think it's a great way to mentally prepare for what's ahead on the actual race day. It will be half of the Half, 6.2 miles. And since I know I can do this, my main goal is to keep running. I'm going to stay the course with my fellow runners who challenge and encourage me without stopping to stretch out my foot. Let's do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment