Friday, April 29, 2011

Getting the Feet Wet

With a five mile training run ahead of me, I decided to run around Greenlake (about 3 miles) with my new shoes. My numb toes after our nine mile run sent me back to Fleet Feet for a consultation. They suggested I try the same shoe, but in a wide. For lovely ladies, this isn't exactly what one wants to hear. But for a gal attempting to toughen up for a half marathon, I was more than willing to try. But I also wanted to try my FiveFinger shoes on the grass. At Greenlake I could take the paved trail with the wider shoes (the half marathon is mostly paved, so I wanted to mimic those conditions) for a few miles, then change into the FiveFingers to run in the grass or trail on the outer perimeter.

The wide shoes were great. I augmented with something called "Jelly Toes,"  a gel filled sleeve for the toes many dancers use. It was just a short distance compared to what I'd need to do on race day, but it seems like I'd found the right formula. And by formula, here's what I had added to my body: Jelly Toe on my second toe, the wider shoes, calf compression sleeves, a knee support and a support belt for my lower back. That doesn't count the SmartWool socks, wicking sunshield cap, iPod Shuffle and running tights, sports bra, tank top, two shirts and windbreaker. As my husband will tell you, I do not travel light.

As for the FiveFingers, once I put them on and tromped off into the grass, I felt like a kid. The grass was still wet and muddy in places, but I found running in it a joy. I may have started off the paved path, but the shoes kept me scampering up hills, winding around the trees and smooshing farther along than I anticipated. It felt liberating to be able to run through the muddy, wet grass unconcerned about getting dirty yet still feeling that my feet were protected. The FiveFingers are machine-washable, not something you can do with just any running shoe.

I preferred staying in the grass or on the trail with the FiveFingers rather than running on the pavement. That's probably where I need to be to strengthen my feet. It's still too soon to tell if they're making any difference, but they sure are fun and comfortable to wear in the meantime. I'm considering getting them for the girls for summer scampering.

No comments:

Post a Comment