Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Heavyweight

My  husband bought a scale. I am mortified.

I'm not one of those people who are 'anti-scale.' I do step on them, dreading where the numbers will stop. If it were more like Wheel of Fortune, at least we'd get 'Lose a Turn' and just be disappointed we didn't get to play the game. But with scales you have to watch as the little black line wavers back and forth until it decides that you played far too hard in the preceding hours and now you'll have to pay with a huge tab: your undesirable triple-digit score. Or, if you have a digital display scale (which is what Doug brought home), you can watch the numbers climb up and up as the lines go from '4'...no, no, wait...'7,' no...oh, '9.' Ugh.

Like most modern-day women, I'm not 100 percent satisfied with my body. I don't usually get caught up in the numbers game, but I would like to weigh less than my husband. I would like to have more firm parts than jiggly parts. We eat well, stay fairly active and don't smoke. We aren't in a health risk range. But a scale? I'm just not sure I want to be tempted to step on it and feel crappy about the numbers. Is this the test? Is this where I'm supposed to say, "This is an opportunity! You can step on the scale and choose to feel great about how much you weigh!"

Well, I'm not buying it. I've already stepped on it twice and I've taken the opportunity to scrunch up my face and hiss at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment