Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympic Opening Ceremony

I get pretty choked up during the Olympics. I don't consider myself hugely patriotic, but I do take great pride in the determination and dedication of the athletes. They're giving everything of themselves to excel at their sport on an international level and we don't have to deal with ridiculous talk of salaries or teams leaving towns. These athletes are our countrymen and women. They kick ass at their sport. I dig it.

What helps suck me in are those mini biographies the TV channels host, where you get a glimpse of the athlete's background. I love their childhood photos, hearing from their neighbor or pastor or their parents about how special little Shaun or Julia or Apolo was when they were younger. I have a vivid memory of watching Ekaterina Gordeeva's bio blip and how they dubbed in "For Your Eyes Only" over a final picture of her performing, her face cropped in tight onscreen. Cheesy, but memorable.

The Opening Ceremonies were very entertaining. It's amazing what you can do with some fabric and lights! When the huge bear popped up from the floor, I was excited, but the whales were, well, killer! Very very cool effects. I loved watching the teams enter. They are full of wonder and excitement, hope so tangible it tingles toward you through the television.

I haven't been keeping up with the team, so I don't have any picks or predictions. But I will be cheering for Apolo Anton Ohno, Seattle golden boy, Dancing with the Stars champ, and really, soul patch and Cosby sweaters aside, just an all around great guy.

Good luck, Team USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment