Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love birds

I was determined to make valentines cards for friends and family this year. I experimented with a few little card doodles and shapes, finally deciding on a love bird theme. Then after seeing the movie, "Bright Star," I was totally inspired by the letters John Keats sent to Fanny Brawne. Deeply in love with words, especially coupled with the tactile sensation of holding paper with lovely handwritten script, I fell hard for the idea of sending that kind of emotion to people I care about.

I'm pretty excited with the results. It was gratifying to spend the time making something with love and care, and even more wonderful to get a message from a friend saying they were happy to receive it. I wanted to take it a little further for Doug and the girls. Since I've been home with them, much of my time is spent preparing our home, cleaning, washing, arranging. I decided to make a folded bird card, connecting the birds at their beaks. And I wanted to make a nest to sit the birdie in.

We have a lavender bush in our front yard which I've neglected. The lavender stalks have grown tough and dry, but I thought they would be sturdy while emanating a wonderful scent. Being a busy mom, naturally, I had other things to do besides get started on this nest. Late last night I began assembling the nest, and I tell you, I have a new found respect for birds. I have a number of tools to use and opposable thumbs and it was really really hard.

The good news is that the birds in the nest looked great. The bad news is that I was up so late making them that I was completely zonked out and didn't see my family's reaction to them! But we had a wonderful day, sharing lots of sweet treats and special hugs. I hope all of you were able share your love and aloha with the people who are close to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment