Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Aren't all sounds musical?

The other night I stumbled upon these "T Screen Test Films," which are short interviews of celebrities by The New York Times' Lynn Hirshberg. They were so short and sweetly addictive that we soon zipped through much of Season 1.

One tidbit I enjoyed - which seemed to happen with the earlier interviews instead of the later ones - was where they asked the celebs, "What Are Your Five Favorite Non-Musical Sounds?" A concept similar to the questionnaire James Lipton 'borrowed' from Bernard Pivot after the Proust Questionnaire for Inside the Actors Studio, I love hearing how the celebs answer. (Doug and I actually completed our own actors studio questionnaire years ago. It'd be funny to go back and find those!) But I had to ask, "Aren't all sounds musical?"

That aside, I went ahead and answered for myself. Here's my list:
1. My children laughing.
2. Doug using a whisk in a pan. I'm usually very sleepy when I hear him, whisking up a frothy milk for coffee or batter for pancakes.
3. My mother's voice calling me from another room, usually with irritation. I haven't heard this since I was younger and I hated it. Now, I really miss it. Maybe it's because I may never hear her in quite that way again.
4. Rain.
5. The needle on a record, just before the music starts. Kkkhhhrrrrrrrrhhhh.

What are your 5 favorite non-musical sounds?

No comments:

Post a Comment